Tuesday 25 June 2019

25th June


I have just come back from an egg and chips lunch at the Stanmer tearooms with dear friend F.   This is one of the delights of life, driving over the Beacon on a summers day and through lovely Stanmer Park,  then sitting in the doggy heaven of the tearooms eating a delicious and tasty lunch and having good chats.

I`ll tell you one thing about getting a terminal diagnosis:   It makes you enjoy things more than ever before: small things like the field of poppies along the Beacon Road, my boiled egg for breakfast. Oh and my amazing cleaners. A gang of four women turn up every fortnight and utterly transform my tiny bungalow. It positively sparkles with cleanness and smells polishy and lavendery. 
   
I went to the Quaker Poetry group last night. The topic was Simon Armitage.  All the poems that were brought were sad and depressing, many were tragic.  I had thought he was quite a jolly bloke when I went to a reading he gave in Grasmere a couple of years ago.  I still think he is a good choice for our new Poet Laureate   
Vicky


I have just come back from work at the hospital.  It was reassuring to be back in the great NHS machine after my week off last week, and there are lots of lovely people there.  
I am hoping to take a six-month career break starting from the end of September, so I can keep Vick out of hospital if she gets ill.  If she remains as independent as she is now, I have no idea what I'll be doing, but it is nice just to be together, even if we are watching Escape to the Country and playing scrabble in the afternoon.
I had a spiritual experience last Friday for the summer solstice, watching the sun suddenly emerge at Dawn from a hilltop in Lewes, while pipes were played.  I was genuinely amazed.  I thought it would never appear.
A childhood friend and I also swam in Ardingly Reservoir another night, under a moody grey sky.  It was great to feel so small and insignificant.
Josie


No comments:

Post a Comment