Wednesday 13 November 2019

13 th November

I have taken to going to bed at around 8 pm and getting up at 6 am. This feels deeply right to me at this time of year.  The velvety dark is a comfort in the evenings.  Looking after oneself is a full-time profession, and getting enough sleep is helpful.  Vicky and I are carrying on our routines but I hope I don't encourage her to do too much and she would be happier being more house/bedbound.  We do talk about it a lot.  She has always taught me how to live well.
I did swim in the sea last Saturday morning and it did make me feel happy.  I was alone but the snobby Brighton Swimmers Club were a few metres away.  I was in a wet suit but most of them weren't.  I waved cheerfully but they did not wave back.  They once told me there was a waiting list of over 100 people waiting to join their club.  The sea was flat as a pond, and I saw some unusual birds.  It definitely made me feel alive and better, so I hope to carry on.
Today we are going to do Vick's cupboards, and see the dentist.  Tomorrow we will read Jane Austen.  I love her long complicated sentences and her focus on the tiny slights and annoyances in life, that we are all so sensitive to but rarely discuss in detail.
I do appreciate David Attenborough's new series but it is causing me huge grief due to the effects of climate change.   Nature is not all primroses and otters.  Nature is brutal and frightening at times. Some people hate the music but I don't mind it.
Josie

I am an optimist, which is annoying for some people I know.  I tend to always think that everything is all right really.  Just lately though, I have been a bit downhearted, as I don't like living with such uncertainty.  Sometimes I just feel like crawling into a hole.  
Do I plant the tulip bulbs?  Do I buy some new shoes?  Hardly worth it surely.  Anyway, a dear friend J came round and did the pots for the Spring, and I had an old tatty chair recovered which now looks splendid.
I'm going to stay with brother P in his new home in Sandy, Bedfordshire, tomorrow.  I'm going on the train.  He has just moved house aged ninety-two and a half and there's optimism for you.
Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment