Thursday 26 September 2019

26th September

Josie and I are away this week on what we grandly call our road trip.
We went first to Ely. We both wanted to look at the cathedral and it was just as extraordinarily beautiful as I remembered it. We stayed at a nearby pub which was comfortable in a ramshackle way. We went to see my oldest friend. We met when we were three. We hadn’t met for many years.  Just had long phone calls.  Then on to my dear sister J near Newcastle. We whizzed up and down the A1M like real truckers. I am lethal with the sat nav. I only have to touch it and it goes haywire. I put in the wrong postcodes sometimes.  Josie had to confiscate it in the end.
On our way home today from ravishing Derbyshire.

Vicky


The play went well. I get a warm feeling when I think of it as it was well put together by our friend T.  Perhaps we will start a trend for families to put on plays about relatives lives. Why not?
I am sitting in a twin bed next to my mum in a hotel in Derbyshire. I have just drunk a complimentary decaf coffee and eaten a shortbread biscuit. We are watching Highland Midwives on the telly.  There's a pool outside fed by a natural spring I can swim in.  Hooray.  It's good to swim after being crumpled in the car, but I don't mind driving.  
Vicky’s childhood friend who we visited yesterday was resilient and stoical as children of the 1930s seem to be. I wonder what my generation will be like when we are old.  Much more scruffy I suspect. With no milk jugs or toast racks or coasters under our mugs.  I loved finding out minor details about my grandparents that only family friends would notice.

Josie

No comments:

Post a Comment