Tuesday 15 October 2019

15 th October

Last week we suddenly felt we were doing too much.  At Qi Gong Vick kept falling asleep.
The next day we decided to read Persuasion by Jane Austen aloud to eachother.  That felt like a great thing to do with the damp cold weather outside. I have never read Jane Austen, and we can discuss and clarify each page as we go which is an added bonus.. 
I wonder if we could take up embroidery next.  I need to learn to sit down more.

Every day Vick and I write a to do list and it is always complicated. e.g.
Phone handyman re skirting boards
Phone OT re trolley (use buzz words like balance and falls)
Change library books
Empty compost bucket
Go to chemist for anti itch cream
Go to post office; send baby congrat card
Waitrose; (want to try Jamie's meat free recipes; buy mustard seeds)

There are so many lovely people about who pop in too, and many interesting conversations to be had.  
On Saturday night I went back to the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead for my 30 year nurses reunion.  I thought everyone looked much better now than they did aged 19, like good wine, improved with age.  I marched in the rain along Oxford Street with Extinction Rebellion too, but whether that did any good, I do not know. 
Josie

We have a new Darling in the family, my fifth great grandson. I am a supporter of Extinction Rebellion, which is a bit hypocritical since I have done so much to overpopulate the planet.  He is warmly welcomed by me however and I hope to see him soon. 
There have been many jobs in my bungalow waiting for years to be dealt with, like gaps in the skirting boards, bookcases not fixed to the wall, broken clocks and chairs needing upholsterers. Lately I have felt I want to pass it on in good nick which is totally barmy.  On Monday the handyman and the upholsterer turned up at the same time as an OT person to assess my mobility.  She filled in a huge yellow file dealing with every aspect of my health and strength and then asked me if there was anything I would like.   "A little trolley perhaps?"  "Oh no it might catch on the rugs and trip you up", she said.
I felt so sorry for our 92 year old Queen as I watched the state opening of parliament yesterday.  There she was loaded with jewels, in a scratchy sparkly dress, making a speech she may not agree with at all.
I wonder if she longs to tell Boris to tuck his shirt in his trousers and brush his hair.  
The over zealous cleaners dislodged the stuffing in the holes by the back door.  Oh dear the nightly invasion of slugs are back.  They have been eagerly waiting for this.  Back to the nightly patrols.
Vicky


No comments:

Post a Comment