Wednesday 9 October 2019

8th October

On Saturday afternoon, I suffered a touch of the melancholy.  I felt listless and not sure what to do.  I had hoovered the stairs.  I had finished my book.  There was nothing on the telly.  Everyone was out, and the cat looked at me crossly.  I spoke to Vicky on the phone.  Then I went to bed early.
I slept well and dreamt vividly about my grandmother, Vicky's mum.  She was alive and well and had a gold ring through her nose.  She had an Interflora business under her stairs.  I woke up feeling slightly better and stomped up to my allotment.  I wondered if the plants there were as pleased to see me as I was to see them.  Lots of muddy produce at this time of year.  I made some chutney when I got home and a stodgy apple cake.  I took it up to London yesterday to give to the Extinction Rebellion protesters.  The apple cake made conversation difficult as it gummed up the teeth.
Josie

I have a fear of large plates of food these days.  I'm sure there is a name for this condition.  Queasiphobia perhaps? I have gone off lots of food lately, like broccoli, Waitrose quiche, and crisps.  It's very odd.  And the worst one is alcohol in any form.  No G and T with nibbles at 6pm as I used to enjoy in an unquakerly fashion.
I am reading The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell which has made me feel better about buying books from Amazon occasionally as apparently, they use small independent bookshops to source their secondhand copies of books.  I had a lovely poetry book for my birthday called The River in the Sky by Clive James.  It takes the form of one long poem and is described as taking him on a  "grand tour of the fragile treasures of his life".  Which is a bit like the play we did in the pub a couple of weeks ago.
  Two songs at the choir yesterday made both Josie and me cry.  I don't know why.  One was about the trees reaching down into the dark earth, and the other was; The migration of birds, a nation of outstretched wings.
Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment