Thursday 31 October 2019

31 st October

I have had a dearth of good novels lately, which makes life grim.  I have given up on several, which is always disspiriting.  Like how one feels disappointed with a tepid bath, or a favourite pair of shoes with a hole in.  However, just last night I started The Confession, by Jessie Burton, which has drawn me in already.
I love being outside even more than usual in this season and have done some long walks with various members of my family.  I have been given a super new bike, which I can even attempt slopes on, and it has a splendid basket.  I set off along the seafront to cycle to a house boat in Shoreham, but got terribly wet inthe rain.  The houseboat was a converted ferry, which reminded me of the old IOW ones.  The sitting room was so wide and comfortable, and the bedroom was upstairs in the bit where the captain would drive. It was inspiring and I felt in touch with the elements there.
I may start sea swimming this winter as I have a wetsuit.  I've heard it is good for anticipated grief.  
Josie

It is busy here in Ditchling at the moment, as family from the north east with three beautiful small boys, are here for half term and are staying in the High Street.  My deafness is at its very worst in large groups and I keep guessing what people are saying and getting it wrong, especially with the children.  I have this irrational anxiety about feeding them all.  I worry about them being hungry.  Is this some primeval instinct I wonder. 
Today is the dreaded Halloween.  The boys are dressed in skeleton outfits.  We never did this in the old days, or trick and treats.  It was just toffee apples on sticks.  We had a good time carving lanterns though, and I made some tasty soup with the innards.
My home improvements have come to nought.  The kitchen man never came back.  The handyman said he would return at the end of November.  I bought a new fridge.  Otherwise I will just continue just the same I suppose.
Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment