Monday 23 December 2019

23rd December

I love this time of year, Point Zero.  I pranced around at dawn to the bagpipes in Lewes on the winter solstice.  We lit a fire, sang rounds and drank mead.  I'm such a crusty hippy at heart.
I've been reading Anne Tyler books voraciously and love the detail about lovable but flawed characters.  She is a genius.  Danny and I have been lighting the wood burner and talking to each other a lot more now that our children are largely independent. Hot water bottles are an endless boost. I am enjoying drinking a glass of wine in the evenings, and in January I will drink nothing alcoholic.
I am often worried about Vick's pain and keep tweaking her drugs like I used to with my hospital patients, as it is so important to have complex cancer pain under control.  I wish they would get on with the MRI scan and a blast of radiotherapy, as that would definitely help.  I liaise with the GP and hospice nurse a lot and we are all on the same hymn sheet.
Josie

There have been a few comments after my last entry about the names of cats and dogs.  We missed out Pudding, Percy, and Bradley Wiggins.  Percy (or Percil) was an unusually large white cat who would sit by the phone when I was out, hoping to hear my voice on the answerphone.  Next time I lie awake I will think about other people's pets.  
The plan for Christmas Day is as follows.  We are all having a shared breakfast at the Quakers followed by Meeting.  Then back to my little place to open our presents and eat the vegan canapes from Waitrose.  And some bubbly stuff.  Play a few games.  Watch the Queen, although what she's going to say goodness knows.  Then the family will clear off and I am looking forward to a quiet evening watching Gavin and Stacey and eating scrambled egg on toast.  What bliss.  Hope it doesn't all go wrong and I end up in A and E.
Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment