Wednesday 31 July 2019

31 st July

Vicky and I went to my graduation today.  I kept thinking there may be some mistake and I would never be called up in my gown to shake the Vice Chancellor's hand and I had misunderstood and never quite got a degree at all, but no, it seemed to go ahead.  Our hands got tired with all the clapping other people.  I didn't fall over on the stage either, which was another anxiety.

I enjoyed our coffee and salmon and cucumber sandwich in the Grand Hotel afterwards particularly.  I then went into work, but overall it was a high point to get my certificate.

As I turn 50 soon and start my six-month career break shortly afterwards, I feel a sense of seasons turning and things moving on.  Everything feels symbolic in an ordinary kind of way.
Josie





This morning I went to Josie`s graduation ceremony at the Brighton Centre. She is now a Bachelor of Science in Professional Practice.   Of all my five children, this the first time I have been to one. I do not think any of the others went to their own let alone asking me.  They were at  Exeter, Plymouth, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick and Newcastle.   I don`t hold it against them. People just didn`t make such a thing of it then I suppose.  So it was a real treat to go today and I found it all very moving.  It was wonderfully well organised considering how many hundreds of people were there,  with a string quartet in the foyer playing Haydn, and kind women helping me find my seat in a disabled place.  Josie looked stunning in her cap and gown.   It is a pity that academic gowns are not more generally worn as they are very flattering to the figure. They make people look dignified and also hide unsightly bulges and odd shapes and even the silly hats look good as they make you stand up straight.
I went to the Hospice again on Friday and had reflexology done by the daughter of a famous  Ditchling resident who is a volunteer, so that was good.    We had storytelling in the morning and poetry in the afternoon.  I am so lucky to go there once a week.
We have a big family get together in the Island this weekend for Josie`s fiftieth birthday, four generations of blooming Darlings.  
Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment