Wednesday 8 April 2020

8th April

Our four children decorated Vick's white cardboard coffin with all the lovely cards people have sent over the past few weeks, and put letters and poems inside.  There was apparently exactly the right amount, with all the space covered but not overcrowded, so that was lucky.  
The cremation will be next Friday 17th April at 1.30 pm in Brighton, but sadly only ten of us can attend, so it will just be me and one of my brothers and our families, and we will have some Quaker silence and speak our own personal tributes as well as a few poems and pieces of music.
All are welcome to the memorial in the future at Brighton MH.  We will announce the date as soon as we can.  And Vicky wanted her ashes scattered on the southernmost point of the Isle of Wight so there will be an outing there once restrictions are lifted.
There will be a notice in The Friend and the Hampshire Chronicle, and hopefully, most of Vicky's friends are aware now.
I am so grateful for so many things, but grief is like the hospice leaflet says it is, a whole mixture of emotions.  My daughter and I have run into the sea every day at 5.15pm as it is low tide then and the water has been calm, like the motionless streets.  It is cruelly cold but somehow life-affirming. 
I have been occupied with much Admin, but I am happy to do it really.  

1 comment:

  1. To have carried out the loving task of placing and sticking all those tender letters, poems and cards on Vicky's coffin must have been a heart wrenching but wonderful thing to do for your mother, their grandmother. How lovely to send her off with all those kind thoughts. I'll be thinking of you on Friday especially and my heart will be with you. I know Vicky would very much approve of your life-embracing and affirming sea swimming. Years ago someone told me grief was a bit like the sea, sometimes calm and sometimes a huge wave which overwhelms you. I'm glad the water has been calm for you for your afternoon exertions.
    What a lot of love Vicky gave and received.
    Love to all of you. Fiona

    ReplyDelete