Friday 17 April 2020

17th April

After a sea swim, and going to my allotment to pick blousy yellow tulips, and wildflowers like marigolds, forget-me-nots, rosemary, borage and cow parsley, we put on our best clothes and waited for Vick to arrive in the car outside our house.   Our fantastic neighbours along the road stood outside to pay their respects and the female funeral directors looked smart and quirky, with Vick's cardboard coffin in the back all covered with everyone's cards.  My car did its naughty trick of not starting but we all got there in the end, and Vick would have laughed.  The service was lead by our beautiful sensitive Quaker woman friend, and I and our three daughters were the pallbearers.  We placed the flowers on top of the coffin.  One of my brothers chose lovely music; Corelli and Vaughan Williams.  Otherwise, the base was silence in the chapel, and most of us got up to say a poem or a personal tribute when we felt like it.  We cried and I found myself making involuntary whimpers like a wet dog.  Afterwards, we had apple pie and cream in the gentle rain outside.  The cherry trees were in full bloom and milky primroses were all over the place.  It was wonderful to know other friends and family were marking the moment in separate places.  Overall I think Vick would have approved, but I bet she is looking forward to her memorial with more mates around.
Josie 

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful description of a beautiful day! Even more poignant, special and memorable at this extraordinary time.... Thank you Josie, love from Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write so beautifully, as Jenny said. I loved all the details, like the blousy tulips and your naughty car. It must have been such an emotional and special thing to do, to carry your mother's coffin. I Googled a Corelli song and it was so beautiful and moving. Thinking about Vicky whilst listening to it made me feel very tearful and my daughter gave me a lovely hug. Apple pie and cream sounds very comforting and it's so wonderful that the cherry trees were full of blossom all around you. I can imagine Vicky laughing about your car not starting. Love to you all. Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely Josie.I feel very close to Vicky and often think about how she would be putting her energy and love into supporting others at this difficult time.I will never forget her kindness and she will always be an inspiration X

    ReplyDelete