Thursday 19 March 2020

19th March

Since I wrote this on Tuesday the hospice has banned all visitors to Vick and the nurses are wearing gloves, aprons and masks when they go in which makes it difficult for her to lip read.
Somebody there yesterday managed to use her iPad to facetime me, and we were able to chat a bit, but the camera was focused on her ceiling hoist rather than on her face for some reason.  I offered to take her home, but she can't face all the upheaval.  
I had a three-hour Zoom meeting last night, learning the art of dynamic facilitation, and I was amazed by how connected I felt to everyone despite the flat screen.  It was led by a woman called Rosa, and I will put a link to her website, as it is all interesting stuff, about how to communicate better and come up with creative ideas in challenging times such as these. https://www.diapraxis.com/  Growing up in a noisy environment, I think I thought there was never enough time to say what I needed to say, but of course, there is an abundance of time for us all.  We just need to listen better.  
None of us could sleep last night, and we stayed up too late feeling rather nervous.  The malaise continues with my husband and son but so far the rest of us feel quite normal.
Vicky can still receive post, and we wish we could stick messages all over her French doors.  I am going to write her a Mothers Day letter today.
Josie

1 comment:

  1. No visitors and finding it difficult to have chats with the nurses because she can't lip read. It seems cruel although of course I know the real reason is the opposite. If only they could make transparent masks. Presumably she was able to see your face when you facetimed yesterday. That must have lifted her spirits although of course I know she is not normally prone to low spirits. How very sad all this is. I had planned a visit today. Instead I will write to her although writing to people who write so well, as you and Vicky do, is quite scary! I suppose talking on the phone is not easy for her as she doesn't have the opportunity to lip read. Do let me know if there is anything I can do for you, your family or your wonderful Mum. I have stopped working at the school for the moment, and in any case they close on Friday, like most schools. I do hope your son and husband will feel better soon. Love and hugs to you both.Fiona

    ReplyDelete