Friday 20 March 2020

20th March

Day 5 of isolation.  I miss me mum but there is nothing I can do.  I showed her around our house on Facetime yesterday which she enjoyed as she had not been able to get up the loft stairs to our bedroom for years.  I even showed her the rhubarb crumble in the oven which she approved of, as I have a glut of rhubarb on the allotment.
It is still the two men in the house who are ill, and us three women are not showing symptoms yet.  It is a bit like Christmas without the food.  Or drink. Kind friends and neighbours have left lovely foodie parcels on the doorstep, so we are not hungry and have an online shop coming this weekend.  
We have played several games of scrabble and chess.  My friend in Hove and I are sending one line of a limerick to each other on email, replying when we have a spare moment.  My lodger and I have played some folk tunes on guitar and violin.  We have danced about the sitting room playing some records.  We read a bit of Under Milk Wood out loud every night.  In fact, there are masses of things to do.  
I've decided to go to my allotment every day and treat it more like a farm than a hobby in case of food shortages.  I love shaking seeds into the furrows in the Spring but it is always hard to believe those bits of dust will turn into anything.  When my children were young I bought twenty chickens for my allotment and had masses of eggs until Mr Fox came to visit.  I would love to get some hens now as they are full of charisma and would cheer me up.
Josie

1 comment:

  1. I really hope your husband and son are doing well and that the rest of you stay well. Your comment about finding it hard to believe that seeds shaken into furrows will grow into the plants you hope for, makes me think of one of my favourite of Piet Hein's Grooks:

    THE MIRACLE OF SPRING

    We glibly talk
    of nature's laws
    but do thing have
    a natural cause?


    Black earth turned into
    yellow crocus
    is undiluted
    hocus-pocus.

    ReplyDelete