Tuesday 11 February 2020

Later on 11 th February

No community nurses came but Danny and all my three daughters were there and we listened to the Trout Quintet at Vicky's request while the sun poured in, and woodpeckers outside made their presence known.
The kind hospice doctor and nurses whom I know from my job persuaded me it was a good idea for Vicky to go there and she was surprisingly keen as getting to the loo is so hard and there is no sight nor sound of any carer support round the Ditchling area.
We waited for hours while Vicky slept, then two burly ambulance men came around 3pm.  I had always assumed that ambulance men just quickly bunged people in and were gone in two minutes, but these two were a delight.  They were unrushed and caring, and carefully gave doses of painkillers and anti-sickness drugs, and moved in a gentle way.  They discussed Brighton and Hove Albion's performance in detail with Tiger.  We calmly drove down the lanes to St Peters and St James, and they let Tiger and I ride with them.  I wonder if she will be a paramedic as she was interested in everything.
At the hospice, there are donkeys and well-risen cupcakes with icing and cherries and nurses who make you trays of tea and are heroines, and doctors who really listen.  Other family members came and we all relaxed.
Vick looked dignified and comfy and was pleased for us to come home and eat.  
I am feeling tearful and sad but comforted also.  Thank you for the messages.  Anyone can visit Vicky, although she is very sleepy and the disease has progressed.
Josie

No comments:

Post a Comment